A tour to the most famous sights on the South Coast – the famous waterfalls, glaciers, the Dyrholaey cliffs and Reynisfjara beach.
• The majestic Gullfoss waterfall
• The erupting Strokkur geysir at the Geysir geothermal area
• The rift valley between the tectonic plates at the Thingvellir National Park
• Several options for other natural sights, geothermal pools, culture, cuisine and activities
More about the Tour
The “Golden Circle” is the most popular sightseeing route in Iceland with the three main pillars of the Gullfoss waterfall, the Geysir geothermal area and the Thingvellir National Park.
Translated as “golden waterfall”, the name of Gullfoss relates either to its signature golden glint on sunny days, or to the legendary gold at the end of the rainbow, as Gullfoss often creates perfect rainbows in its mist. The river Hvita originates in the Langjokull glacier and plunges 32m into a narrow and deep canyon. From Gullfoss, you also have a great view of the Langjokull glacier, Iceland’s second largest.
Geysir is one of the world’s greatest geysers and the origin of the word geyser. Although the great geyser is not active, the smaller Strokkur erupts 30 meters up into the air every 7-8 minutes much to the delight of the crowds. Strokkur is the clear favourite sight here but the surrounding area also hosts a variety of bubbling hot springs, steaming vents and colourful fissures.
Thingvellir National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and historically significant for being the first meeting place of the Icelandic parliament in 930 AD. Iceland has the oldest surviving parliament in the world.
Thingvellir is located in the rift between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates, and Iceland is the only place where this rift is above sea level and you walk alongside the plates. We will walk through the Almannagja gorge to the beautiful Oxararfoss waterfall. The Park was also a filming location for the Game of Thrones series.
Depending on your interests and how much time you have, there are several other sights and detour options along
this route. Here are some of them:
– Kerid, a blue-green volcanic crater lake
– Secret Lagoon geothermal bathing pool
– The geothermal exhibition at the Hellisheidi Power Plant
– Lunch at Fridheimar tomato farm and cafe
– Laugarvatn geothermal spa and bakery
– The Skalholt museum, the site of Iceland’s medieval bishop seat
– Faxafoss waterfall
It is also possible to combine your tour with an activity such as snowmobiling, horse riding, snorkelling between the tectonic plates, hiking etc.
This is a private tour. We also offer a small group Golden Circle tour.
Why Book with Us
• Pickup and dropoff from the port
• 100% refund if your ship does not dock
• Customisable tour with a local guide
More Tours from Reykjavik
A tour of the famous landmarks of Iceland’s vibrant capital with an insight into its culture and history and options to visit the remarkable museums.
Discover the geological wonders of the offbeat Reykjanes peninsula, with an option to visit the world famous Blue Lagoon geothermal spa.
Do you have a question or want something customised?
Send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible.