Get away from the crowds to the lesser-visited Hoffellsjokull glacier lagoon and the dramatic Eystrahorn mountains.
• The dramatic Eystrahorn mountain
• The breathtaking Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon
• The diamond beach with icebergs washed ashore
• Panoramic coastal and fjord views
• Optional: Boat tour on the lagoon
• Optional: Lunch in the lobster capital of Hofn
• Optional: Stokksnes beach with views of Vestrahorn and a Viking village
More about the Tour
We start the tour by driving along the coast to Eystrahorn. Lesser-known than their Western counterpart of Vestrahorn, these gabbro mountains are incredibly steep and beautifully coloured.
The surrounding area of Lonafjordur is one of the first stops for migratory birds that have flown thousands of miles and is known for its rich birdlife.
We continue through the tunnel to South Iceland and pass the town of Hofn to drive further west to the Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon.
An outlet glacier of the main Vatnajokull ice cap, the Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon is breathtaking with floating icebergs which have broken off from the Breidamerkurjokull glacier.
The lagoon is also home to curious seals and boisterous skuas.
The icebergs are not static and slowly make their way to the sea. We will also visit the black sand beach across the road, which is often strewn with glittering iceberg pieces and affectionately known as “diamond beach”.
Depending on your cruise ship schedule and if you have time, it is possible to add an hour to the tour to enjoy a boat tour amidst the floating icebergs.
Other detour options are lunch in the town of Hofn or the Stokksnes peninsula.
Known as the lobster capital of Iceland, Hofn has some fine restaurants as well as a local brewery.
The Stokksnes peninsula has great views of the Vestrahorn mountain and also features an abandoned movie set of a Viking village.
*Please note that private tour bookings are classed as requests until availability can be confirmed by our staff. Prices shown are flexible and you may be offered different prices, subject to availability.
Loading your cart… Your cart is empty Items in your cart 1
Why Book with Us
• Pickup and dropoff from the port
• Customisable tour with a local guide
• 100% refund if your ship cancels its visit with more than 24 hours’ notice
• 50% refund with less than 24 hours’ notice
Do you have a question or want something customised?
Send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible.